Sunday, October 26, 2014

What did I do to deserve my life?

I want to update all those who have been following the Isaque story.  He got a new job a couple months ago but with an awful boss that has been treating him pretty poorly so he has been looking for a way out.  We finally finished our chicken coup last week and we received 800 chicks on thursday and the young man that we had originally found to help us backed out last minute.  I had to take his spot for the first couple days as we looked for another young man to work for us.  It was a ton of work and I got zero sleep those few nights.  Finally it dawned on me that I should go make Isaque an offer to come work for us.  I went there and made him an offer of 7 dollars more a month then he was currently making to work for us.  He had to take a beating from his boss before he could finally leave but he got out and last night I went and picked him up with all of his clothes (that he could fit into two small grocery bags) to come work for us.  He will make a little less than $40 dollars a month with free room and food.  We are setting up a savings program for him so that when he is done he can do something with his life.  He is so excited for this new opportunity. I have attached a couple I took about an hour ago of him at the coup.
So this week I have had several experiences that have made me realize how blessed I am.  I don't know why I was given so much opportunity in life.  What did I do to deserve my easy life?  As americans we live very naive lives and we don't realize how blessed we truly are.  More than half of the people in the world sleep on the ground and only dream of having a bed or a mattress to sleep on one day however most die before seeing that dream come true.  What did I do to deserve such an awesome family?  Mozambique has a population of 22 million people and an estimated 1.6 million of those are orphans!  That is 16 percent of the child population in Mozambique.  1.6 million kids here currently have to endure life by themselves in a country that is ranked #2 in the world on the worlds suffering index.  Obviously I did nothing to deserve the amazing life that I have been given but I am grateful for the blessings I have.  I just wish that I could trade spots with some of these people sometimes because they deserve to live a life of "luxury".  They deserve to have a bed, they deserve to have a family, they deserve to have food on their table, they deserve to have a roof covering their heads but many don't have these blessings.  I have just come to the conclusion that they are the elect of Gods children because there is no way I could endure some the trails that they have to endure while still being as happy and as faithful as these great people.  Fighting poverty is a very exhausting experience and it is impossible to pull an entire nation out of poverty.  However I am trying my best to help a few individuals and few families gain a new vision for their life and their potential to leave the bands of poverty.  I have been way more blessed than I deserve in this life and where much is given much is expected in return.  I hope that all of us can open our eyes to the reality of the conditions of what more than 3 billion people in the world live in day by day.  Our brothers and sisters need our help so hopefully we can all find a way to extend our hand.
-Josh





1 comment:

  1. I wonder the same thing, and think sometime how ungrateful we are for the life we have been given (especially since reading your blog) I still wish Isaque could come to America and live with me :( love ya Josh, glad to see ya finally updated!!!

    ReplyDelete