Saturday, August 30, 2014

Orphanage Visit
Man today was by far the emotional days I have had yet.  I wont get to deep into my experience but lets just say it was probably one of the most heart breaking things I have ever witnessed.  I don't mean to have every post talk about the poverty here but my goal with this blog is to help show the reality of Africa.  I love it here and there are so many amazing things about Africa but there are certain things going on here that I want to make everyone aware of. I had the chance to speak to about 70-80 orphans today.  A guy that I work with at Care for Life volunteers at the orphanage every Saturday and he asked me to come with him and speak to the kids today.  I walked in and they were all just sitting there at their little desks waiting for me.  I went up and shook each of their hands and talked to each of them.  Then I had the chance to speak to them.  I had no idea really what to say.  I mean what do you say to kids between the ages of 5-15 who have lost both of their parents to aids and have no family?  Anyways I pretty much just joked around with them and talked about the importance of believing in themselves and I told them that they can accomplish and they can become anything they want to in life if they work for it.  I finished up and asked them if they had any questions.  They were all nervous at first but then they got comfortable and starting asking me questions.  The questions they asked were......well lets just say they broke my heart.  One kid raised his hand and said "Felipe do you have parents?"  I answered not thinking much about it and told them about my mom and dad and siblings and how great they were.  Then another kid raised his hand and said "what is it like to have a family?"  Thats when it just hit my like a punch in the face.  These kids have no parents, no siblings.....they have no one!  The idea of a family is such a foreign dream to them.  All they want in this life is just have a family but even that is not a possibility right now.  Its one thing to suffer from extreme poverty here in Mozambique but to have to deal with that at six years of age with no family.....I can't even imagine.  No one that young should have to face such a harsh reality.  No one that age should have to bear such a burden alone.  It was just super tough to watch.   
So after all of that I asked the guy who takes care of them to see where they sleep at.  He was a little hesitant at first because although he is doing everything in his power to change their living conditions he hasn't been able too.  He receives money from the government for one months worth of food during the year and the rest he has to grow with just the help of his wife for all of the children.  There is no money to help with the living conditions.  He took me upstairs and showed me their "bedroom" which obviously had no beds.  I couldn't believe what I witnessed.  I have attached a picture of their bedroom.  It is a concrete floor and the ceiling has slowly been falling in.  The children don't have blankets or anything and it gets cold at night.  They just sleep on the concrete floor.  They tried to build a new center but they were about $10,000 dollars short so they couldn't complete it and they are stuck in this awful building!  He didn't ask me for any money.  He just asked that I come to the orphanage now and again to help the kids know that someone from the outside worlds knows they are there and cares about them.  
Today completely rocked my world.  I thought I was no longer naive.....I thought I had seen it all but today taught me otherwise.  I really have no idea how I will ever be able to just sit back and live a normal life again knowing things like these are happening.  Someone has to help them.  The kids were so happy and so funny but I have no idea how they do it.  I have no idea how they can even smile or laugh having gone through what they have gone through but yet they are still in good spirits.  If you could have only heard each of their stories at least the ones old enough to tell you their stories......it would have brought you to your knees.  I spent four hours with them and then spent a few very emotional hours at home by myself trying to rap my head around this reality.  This took such a tole on me and I dont even have to go through what they have too.  I have no idea how they can stay so happy and positive through all of this.     
The Lord is the only one who knows what they are going through.  He knows them by name.  He cares about them and he loves them.  I could see and feel their pain from the outside but I can't even begin to imagine what that must feel like from the inside.  To be six years old having lost both parents and all your family.  To be six years old and have to wonder how you are going to survive each day and have no one related to you there to comfort you.  Only them and the Lord can understand what that must feel like.
It was a hard day but it was a blessing to get to see into the eyes of some of Gods most special children.  I wanted to take every last one of them home with me today.  I want every last one of them to have a family that loves them and helps take care of them.  I just want them to feel loved.  They were amazing!
The picture of  the boy in the blue shirt is Tony.  He is 6 the six year old I was referring too.  The other little boy is domingos.  He is five.  Also there is a picture attached of where they sleep.  








  

5 comments:

  1. Bring them home to me!!! I will take care of them, seriously how hard is the adoption process, find out for me! We love ya Josh and keep ya in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie your the best! It is a little bit of a challenge to do because you would have to come here for a few weeks. However if things work out like I hope they will :) then me and Kris can bring you with us in a few years! I have actually looked into the process of adoption because I was pretty sure I was going to take Tony home with me that day. But I am not ready to be a dad yet haha. Thanks for reading my blog Laurie. Your my favorite!

      Delete
  2. I would seriously be interested! I miss you every night when I go to taco time!! Those were the good old days! I am so glad you update the blog even if I cry at every story you write. How do the children get their clothes/ toys? Could I send then stuff? I would like to do something to contribute some how

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly heart wrenching. It's a great thing you're doing and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How on earth can we get some blankets to these kids? What an awesome project that could be for some YW or even as a family.

    ReplyDelete