Saturday, September 6, 2014

Save Through Investing
         Well its been a week since my last post and that one was kind of sad so everyone probably thinks Africa is depressing.  However that is not the case at all.  There is some sad parts of course but the people here are so wonderful!  I am loving my time here and learning a ton from these people.  I normally work during the day but in the afternoons and night times I normal go to the villages and just hang out with random people that I meet.  I am picking up the tribal language pretty fast again so I go and hang out with old ladies sometimes who don't speak Portuguese so it forces me to learn.  Speaking the language Masena breaks the awkward white man in black Africa barrier that is so strong here.  I can get anyone to start laughing by spitting off some Masena.
           My projects with Care for Life are going great.  Care for Life has helped save thousands of lives through its teaching of important skills.  It has been such an amazing experience to learn from them and the way they do things.   I have also been focusing on a few personal projects of investments here.  Many people are scared to invest in Africa because many times in desperation people will steal or not follow through on certain promises.  However Africa has more potential for investments then anywhere else in the world currently.  Returns here are extremely high because of the risk factor.  However I am working on developing a system that allows me to invest and start businesses here with people that I trust while having a checks and balance system to protect them and me from theft and other things that make businesses fail here.  My belief is that the best way to help pull a nation out of poverty is by investing in the people who are honest and will turn around and help other people pull themselves out of poverty.
       I have started two small businesses thus far.  The first is a small store that I have attached a picture of.  There is a man here by the name of Milion and he is in charge of maintaining all of the chapels for the church in Mozambique.  He is not rich by any means but he makes more than the average Mozambican.  Since getting his job he has turned around and helped many families in the community get power in their houses and get the basics needed to live a decent life.  I have watched him spend hundreds of dollars in helping those less fortunate in his community.  Me, him and a guy who I baptized named sancho have gone in on a three way investment to start a small store.  Milion bought the large container and I invested in buying the products that will be in the store.  Sancho will be the manager and will take care of the store while Milion travels and while I am in the United States.  The return on investment is pretty good but we will use most of our profit the next couple of years to grow it into a large facility.
     Also I am now the proud father of 500 chickens!  I am close friends with a guy that works for Care for Life who has a small chicken coup.  He has taken in two orphans and feeds them and gives them a place to sleep along with a small salary to take care of the chicken coup.  He has grown the business to 1,100 chickens in his coup but it has the potential to hold 2,000.  He does not have the capital to fill it up completely yet so I negotiated a deal with him to raise 500 chickens for me and I would pay him a management fee which will give his business a big boost.  I will make a couple hundred dollars off the deal which I plan on turning around and using to help my orphanage project.  I am also about to start a project to team up with a man here to build a chicken coup of my own.  My goal is not to get rich off the investments but to be able to have something that I can turn around and use to help even when I am thousands of miles away in the United States.  The people here have so much potential to change their country and to change the world if they had the financial ability to do so.  All they need is someone to believe in them and show them how to accomplish their goals and from there they will be the ones who save their own county from the awful situation it is in.  I love the people here.  I love this beautiful country.  I wish all of you could just come see this place and meet these people.  It would change your life like it has changed mine.  I hope you all have a great day!






  

2 comments:

  1. Josh, I knew you wanted a large family, but 500 chickens seems a little excessive ;) what you are doing is great, thanks for the Update, we miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh I have loved reading your blog (except where you told Laurie she was your favorite) it has made me reflect on my life and realize some things I need to be better at. You truly are so amazing and have such a big warm heart. Thank you for sharing your stories, and for touching my heart with each post. If there is anything that we can do to help from the US please let me know.. I'd love to do anything! Be safe! Thanks again for your amazing spirit

    ReplyDelete